Thursday 16 June 2011

Review---Storm Born by Richelle Mead (Graphic Novel Issue #1)

Yes, I've been AWOL for a LONGG time (unfortunately again!!). It perhaps may seem to all of you that I'm disinterested in blogging. But NO, that is certainly not the case, I've never been so addicted to anything as much I am (and always will be) to blogging. I have always enjoyed the freedom of expressing my bookish thoughts here, with all of you. I am currently shifting to a different country, so packing and other errands take up most of my time. And I cannot take a one month leave from blogging because I have promised quite a few publishers/ authors to review their book. So here's one of the best that I've read!!!

One word- FANTASTIC!!! Yes, this book deserves all the praise. I've never seen a book so beautifully portrayed, with pictures and speech bubbles, as a graphic novel. True that, this is the first graphic novel I ever read (unless you count Archie's Digest :P) and yet I was able to see how each picture has been illustrated carefully to deliver the message.
All the credit goes to the publisher of Sea Lion Books and also Storn Born, for getting me hooked onto graphic novels. When Patrick at Sea Lion Books asked me if I would like to review the first issue, I was ecstatic!!!!! Being obsessed with the Vampire Academy series, I was overjoyed at the fact that I would be reviewing a book by Richelle Mead (She is theeeeee best author ever!!!!! Long live her and all her books. )
I would like to thank Patrick for sending me the first and second issue and also for being so patient as to wait so long. Thank you so much!!!!!

Storm Born follows the life of Eugenie Markham, a Dark Swan called Odile,named by her stepfather because of the form in which her spirit travels in the Otherworld (cool huh????). She is responsible for banishing all evil from the face of the earth by sending them to the Otherworld. Tiresome work, isn't it?? But you know what?? Strong and wilfull, Eugenie is perfect for the job. She is illustrated as a warrior with fierce looking tattoos on her neck and arms.Her character has been made very considerate and brave! She lives with Tim, her rommate, who earns a living by reading poetry and is a total flirt.We also meet her stepdad, Dean who is very protective of her and cares about her just as her real father would. He has retired from work and his main hobby is shamanism. Her mom, being aware of all choses to ignore it.In this issue, Eugenie has to deal with the abduction of a teenage girl, Jasmine. Her brother Wil believes that she has been kidnapped by a Gentry (another term used for a faerie). Now its upon her to risk her own life by travelling to the Otherworld and rescuing Jasmine.
This issue comes to an end with the suspense that follows after the entry of a "creature". I absolutely enjoyed reading this graphic novel and once again would like to thank the publisher for sending it to me. I have already read the 2nd issue.  Its review will be posted soon after this one. 

Rating- 4 Stars.

You all MUST read this book. Let me know, what you think.

Xoxo <3
Mia 

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! Good to hear that your first experience with a graphic novel was such a good one. I haven't read this one yet, but the cover looks cool, so I'll probably get around to it eventually. x[)

    If you'd like to read more comics, I humbly plug my own blog Hey, Women! Comics!. It's got recommendations - not a lot yet, but enough for a good reading list and constantly growing! - organized by genre and subject matter.

    http://heywomencomics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete